Monday, March 17, 2014

A Great First Impression



A Great First Impression | By Sarah Gaither

As a communication major in college who’s focus was in body language, I learned to watch.  You can learn so much about someone just by knowing how to read the way they present themselves.  While watching I have noticed something that confuses me.  All introductions these days seem to be missing a handshake.  If I do see it, it’s only between two older men.  My question is why?  Why are women, and the younger business generation not shaking hands?

The handshake started as a symbol of peace between men.  As time passed, it has worked its way into all of our business deals.  It was used to solidify an agreement, whether it be for a herd of cattle, baskets of grain or building a house, the handshake has had its place in history and for good reason.  Today a handshake conveys trust, respect, balance and equality. It is also the easiest way to make a great first impression.

As a young businesswoman it was a struggle for me to realize that I needed to be the one extending my hand in both business and social
scenes, regardless of who I was extending it to.  Once I got over that struggle, I was not only showing my respect for those that I had met, but I was receiving respect in return and creating an equal playing field between us. 

Next time you are introduced to someone new, will you offer your hand first? 

We would love to hear your
thoughts on the matter!
Are you teaching your young ones to shake hands when first meeting someone? 
What are your thoughts about the younger generation and women of any generation not shaking hands? 
Leave us your comments/feedback/
thoughts below!   

1 comment:

  1. As a "use to be" car Saleswoman you have touched on one of my favorite topics from that particular learning experience. Did you know you can learn more about a person from just one handshake? "The power shaker", "The double hander", and "The limp fish" were among my favorites. What I learned was that what I can take away from each was more valuable than learning how to deliver each handshake.

    -The Power Shaker uses this shake to show who is in control of the situation. Even if this is a subconscious act, you may unknowingly feel more in charge if your hand lands on top.
    -The Double Hander is how you work your way out of this handshake without looking like you are engaging in a hand to hand game of tug-o-war. Come in with your left hand and place it on top of the shake to even out the balance.
    -The "limp fish" handshake can convey a lot. Most of the time this handshake would lead us to believe that the person who is using this handshake has a lack of experience in the business sense or lack of respect for the handshaker. There is a second method of use for the "wet fish" handshake. I read once that women, mainly from the southern states use this method of hand shaking to show submission. There are a few ideas on why but I presume its because power struggle has less appeal to women than men.
    As a woman who considers myself on the same playing field as the next Tom, Dick or Harry I generally shake everyone's hand regardless of gender. What I have noticed however is that religious backgrounds play into who initiates the hand shaking.
    Thanks for the topic today Sarah.
    -Check out my favorite website on the subject; http://westsidetoastmasters.com/resources/book_of_body_language/chap2.html
    Alisha B.

    ReplyDelete